Recognition by CPA Canada
The Institute attaches great importance to the career of its members wherever they are. Our overseas members although away from home, form an integral part of the Institute’s family and contribute greatly in enhancing the CA Pakistan brand globally. The Council remains focused to create opportunities for their support and development through various initiatives.
ICAP and CPA Canada have signed a revised MoU, which will bring a positive impact for overseas members, in particular, members in Canada or wishing to move to Canada.
Under the revised arrangements, the membership requirements for ICAP have been reduced which will surely facilitate the career progression of the members.
Under the MoU, ICAP members who have gained membership by meeting the education, examination and practical experience requirements of the Institute will be eligible for membership in a Canadian Provincial CPA Body subject to:
- Passing the final examination (the CPA Profession’s Common Final Examination (CFE)); and
- Meeting the practical experience requirements (term, depth, breadth and progression) of the Canadian CPA profession. Applicants with a recognized university degree and 2 years post-designation experience and applicants without a recognized university degree and 5 years post-designation experience will be admitted without a review of their practical experience. Applicant’s with less than the specified post-qualification experience will be subject to a review of their practical experience obtained pre- and post- qualification. All experience must have been gained as a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan.
Membership criteria for ICAP members
- Member of ICAP in good standing
- Gained membership in ICAP by meeting the education, examination and practical experience requirements
- Pass CPA Canada Common Final Examination (CFE)
- Review of pre- and post- qualification practical experience by CPA Canada
Condition No. 4 is not applicable on:
- Members with a recognized university degree and 2 years post-designation experience
- Members without a recognized university degree and 5 years post-designation experience
ICAP members preparing to sit the CFE are highly encouraged to attend Capstone 1 and Capstone 2 of the CPA Professional Education Program as both of these modules are used to prepare candidates for writing the CFE.
The CFE also assumes a core level of knowledge of Canadian tax, Canadian law and Canadian Accounting Standards for Private Entities.
Last updated on March 6, 2017